In the early 1900s, brothers Horace Elgin Dodge and John Francis Dodge founded the Dodge Brothers Company as supplier of parts and assemblies for major Detroit-base automobile manufacturers. Its manufacturing unit known as Dodge Main Factory, located in Hamtramck, Michigan, successfully carried out production of entire cars under the “Dodge Brothers” brand in 1914.
Then in the year 1928, the company was sold to Chrysler by Dillon, Read & Co. who themselves had bought it out from the families of Dodge brothers after their death in 1920. The Dodge Main Factory kept shelling out cars till 1980 when it was completely shut down. Back then, Dodge vehicles comprised mainly of full-sized and mid-sized passenger cars and pickups.
The 1973 oil crisis, however, forced Chrysler to manufacture only compact and midsize cars beginning from the 1981 model year. These models were based on a new K platform and managed to bring Chrysler back in business. Consequently, Dodge faced many ownership transfers from the late 90s to early 2000s. Eventually in the year 2011, Dodge let go of its Dodge Ram and Dodge Viper segments too.
Currently, Dodge is a subsidiary of the FCA US LLC and is manufactured from their plant based in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Dodge’s present lineup compromises majorly of performance cars which sit between the more mainstream Chrysler and relaunched Alfa Romeo of the FCA’s lineup.